Del Mar Automotive is owned by Al and Todd Phillips, father and son, both schooled in Christian values, with special emphasis on the "Golden Rule."
HISTORY - Todd went to work for Del Mar Automotive in 1989 and purchased the business in 1992 with Al’s help. First handling just the accounting, Al became a partner and full time service writer in 1998.
INVESTMENTS IN BETTER SERVICE - Improvements in the barn-like building, which housed railroad maintenance operations in the 1940s, include:
- Computerized shop management (2002), allowing instant access to customer history, online parts ordering and printed invoices that people can actually read;
- Added and updated lifts, now totaling 7, with an 18,000 Lb. lift for trucks and vans;
- Continuously updating diagnostic tools for more accurate results;
- Improved our alignment capabilities with a state of the art John Bean alignment system (2010);
- Engaged third party to provide email reminders of service due with link to service history;
- Added an outside patio/waiting area overlooking the lagoon with fishing pole (bring your license);
- Enclosed the office, just inside the 2 big doors, previously exposed to the elements and shop noise;
- Added Wi-Fi service for technician work station computers and customer convenience.
Our building has a history of it's own. Established in 1949 as an automobile repair shop, it was previously a repair barn for train cars that serviced the Del Mar Race Track. Come in and see the rails on the floor!